If you face some issues with SPTD driver, you can try the solutions below.
Disable your security software.
For some products, it is only necessary to disable one feature (something like "process monitor" or "process alteration").
If you can't boot into Windows anymore, press F8 before you see the Windows Logo and select Safe Mode from the list. If you have SPTD 1.86 version or higher installed, driver will not boot in safe mode. Otherwise, press ESC button when the message about it appear.
Uninstall all software that uses SPTD layer (e.g. DAEMON Tools, Alcohol).
Open Registry Editor (in Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, press Win+R, type regedit and press Enter).
- Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Click on System
- Click on CurrentControlSet
- Click on Services
- Search for sptd
- Select Start on the right and double-click it
- Enter 4 in Value data
- Press OK and reboot your computer
Now SPTD service is disabled. Then follow the next steps:
- Right click on sptd key
- Choose Permissions...
- Click on Advanced
- Click on Owner
- Select your user name in the list
- Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
- Press OK and wait a bit (in some cases, you will have to close the Permissions window and reopen it to continue)
- Check Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects
- Now click on Add...
- Enter your user name into Enter the object name to select list
- Press OK
- Now check Allow next to the Full Control
- Press OK
- In the previous window, press OK, then Yes and wait a bit
- Press OK
- Choose Delete option from the contextual menu of sptd key
- Press Yes to delete the key
- Reboot your computer now
If it's not working right now, please check the following keys in registry:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\19659239224e364682fa4baf72c53ea4 (DT Lite)
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\14919ea49a8f3b4aa3cf1058d9a64cec (DT Pro)
These keys appear during DAEMON Tools installation and should be deleted after the reboot. If they are still here, remove them and try again.
If you have problems with SPTD layer installation, download SPTD stand-alone installer. * x86 version is for 32bit OS (Windows 2000, XP and above) * x64 version is for 64bit OS (Windows XP x64, Vista 64bit, etc.) * 2.xx version is for Windows 10 only
Run the SPTD installer and update to the latest version. After reboot, run installer again and check the message. If it says that the newest version detected, SPTD has been installed correctly. You can continue with DAEMON Tools installation then.
If no SPTD layer version detected or other errors shown, DO NOT install DAEMON Tools.
Check permissions and ownerships of the following Key in regedit:
The following users must have Full Access to this key and its subkeys:
It is possible you have to set the Ownership to your user name (also to its subkeys) before you can change the above mentioned permissions. The steps are described above.
Check if ACPI is enabled in your BIOS (after restart, you should see a message like Press Del to enter setup. That key varies from BIOS to BIOS, sometimes it is F2 or Del).